Family

Family

Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Surprise

I will do my best to put in words what happened next, after the last part of "the story". It will not be easy. Now, writing "not the end" at the end of my last post seems more than appropriate.


Well, I didn't include in the last post that around the time of when I found out I was pregnant, my stomach became very bloated. I didn't really worry about it, because I thought it was a good sign of pregnancy. The day after Steve's birthday, I went to see Dr. W (fertility) to confirm the positive home test. My first HcG read was great: in the 1000s. The next day, my stomach was just BAD (see pic below, ugh). So, I decided to do some research and discovered Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). I had many of the symptoms, and they seemed to be getting worse. I called my doc that evening and he actually called me right back (weird and surprising because it was after hours and I have never actually received a call from him, but always his nurse). 
 

He seemed pretty concerned, but said that as long as my urine remained clear, I was OK. He also mentioned that this combined with my high HcG numbers could mean that there was more than one baby, but he couldn't be sure until I was 6 weeks along. I went back the next day to check my HcG again. It was in the 2000s, not crazy high but a good number. We were thankful. My stomach actually got better as time progressed. We waited for the 6 week ultrasound. 
 

The following two weeks were bliss. We were so thankful to God for His blessing of another child. Hannah and Hope were ecstatic. What a season it had been of waiting, and the prize of the race was not another child but a closer and deeper relationship with the Father and His Son. I don't think anything could have prepared us for what happened next. 
 

Our 6 week ultrasound was on June 10. Dr. W explained to us, as he did before, that I had a very small chance of twins and even smaller chance of triplets (about 1% for the latter). I had ONE mature follicle measuring at 21mm and two immature follicles measuring at about 15mm and 16mm each the day before "the try". If you aren't aware, one follicle produces one egg. 
 

In his 30+ years of practice, Dr. W has never had a patient have more than triplets (I don't think), because he is so conservative. I actually experienced this to be true during my care under him. When other doctors would tell me that I needed to start injections and really needed to produce more mature follicles during a cycle to get pregnant, Dr. W was never in a hurry. I sometimes wanted to kick him in the rear end, but I trusted and respected him greatly. He is brilliant.
 

I don't think anything could have prepared Dr. W for what he was about to see, either. 


As Dr. W began the internal ultrasound, he started at the right ovary. He didn't see any corpus luteums there, which we expected since we didn't see any mature follicles there either before the pregnancy.  Then, he moved to the uterus. His first words were: "Lindsey, we have a problem". I looked at Steve, who was holding our girls. He gave me a strong grip with his hand. Dr. W continued: "I see no fewer than 6 pregnancy sacs here; three sacs have yolks in them (that I can see) and three do not. I am speechless." Speechless.
 

Dr. W continued to look at my left ovary. There were 3 distinct corpus luteums. He kept looking around for another 10 minutes or so then ended the exam. I sat up, Steve held the girls tight. Sweet nurse V looked on with the widest eyes I have ever seen. Dr. W began to speak: "I have no idea how this happened. I am so sorry, Lindsey. If this continues, your only option will be selective reduction. I just ... I can't explain this. I have never, ever seen this in all my years of practice." 
 

We talked for a good time more. I asked him for any probable explanations. He said that maybe all 3 follicles ovulated and then after being fertilized, split. But the chances of that happening are one in a billion. It would take a ... miracle (my words). We continued to talk, but to be honest I can't remember anything either of us said. It was the most surreal, frightening, and yet glorious moments of my life. I have never felt my smallness and God's greatness so much in my life.  Dr. W ended the conversation saying that some of my pregnancy sacs could spontaneously disappear with time. We just had to wait until my 8-week ultrasound. I would be sent to Maternal Fetal Medicine: the people who deal with high-risk pregnancies. They have a high-powered ultrasound and, as Dr. W stressed, they specialize in selective reductions. 
 

Our vacation could not have been timed more perfectly. God's hand was all over this. He was so faithful in the journey up until this point, and we knew that He was not going to leave us now. We cried out to Him in utter desperation: "HAVE YOUR WAY, LORD JESUS." We told our closest friends who had been praying for us all along; they stood strong with us in the fire. We escaped for a blessed 2-week get-away to Florida and Tucson.














Steve and I had a peace about telling his family, since we all would be together, which happens (if we are lucky) once a year. Their initial reaction was shock, understandably. We left the living room late that night feeling love and support from the family, but yet my own insecurity of wanting their approval reared its ugly head. The next day, the news of our pregnancy brought the whole family to the kitchen table. There were tears, raised voices, prayers in the Spirit ... God was so present. Over 10 years of "stuff" came up. It was hard, painful, and scary. But He moved mightily. Pleas were made for forgiveness on all sides. Reconciliation began. Hallelujah! These babies had already had such a good purpose, no matter how long God decided to give them life. 
 

God spoke to Steve and I exceedingly on our trip. Steve finally showed signs of fear; he had been so strong for me over the last few weeks. We talked and talked and talked, something we can't really do with a 4 and 2-year old hanging around! I will share all that we have heard from God at the end of this story. 
 

We received a few calls from the maternal fetal medicine office while we were in Arizona. I began to think that my "news" was making its way around the Charlotte medical community. The office asked if I could come a day earlier, because a certain doctor wanted to see me. Once again, God's providence was incredible. We could make it if we left Florida the same day we arrived back from Tuscon. 
 

The travel back home was difficult with my increasing nausea. But, we made it. We were overjoyed to be back with our girls again. They had an awesome time with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins while we were away. They much enjoyed their first trip to Disney World! 


 

On the drive home, I barely said a word. I was not feeling well at all. I did, however, muster up the energy to hand Steve my phone to take a picture of a neat mileage that we hit in Big Betty. We never knew that this picture would have a profound meaning later on.



We arrived home shortly before midnight. We all slept very well. I woke decently early and decided to get a run in - time to clear my head and hear from God. That is what running has always been for me. I was slowing down, but still thankful that I could still exercise. In many ways I felt like a ticking time-bomb; I wanted to take advantage of every day, in every way. After breakfast, Aunt Michele and Anna Kate reported for duty. They have been our saving grace (along with many others) countless times when we needed help with the girls throughout the process of infertility treatment. They knew everything about our situation and were on pins and needles to hear about our appointment ... just as we were. 

After a short wait, I was called back to the ultrasound room. I was a bit surprised not to see the doctor first. The ultrasound technician prepped me for my first external ultrasound in a long time. She turned off the lights. We looked onto a 32'' flat screen TV that showed my womb. When the screen appeared, we couldn't decipher anything we saw. The technician stayed quiet for a moment, but it didn't take long. "I see 7", she said. 7. 

I began to cry. I looked at Steve, who also began to cry. But behind our tears were smiles. 7: the same number of our car mileage. 7: God's number for perfection and completion. The technician continued the ultrasound, which took no shorter than 30 minutes. She identified each baby as A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. She measured each one's size and heartbeat. All perfect. All healthy. All have their own placentas. 

I had actually been to this office before, with Hope, because I always have to go through special prenatal screening due to Steve's family heart history. I had also met this technician before as she reminded me. She was an older lady, one with much experience, and one that the doctors respect much. I asked her what was the most number of fetuses she has ever seen was. She said 9. She said that the couple chose to selectively reduce to twins, and then lost both of them later in the pregnancy. Dr. S came in, confirmed the technician's findings, and called us into his office. It was time to talk. 

My initial impression of Dr. S was a good one. He was obviously very experienced and wise. As we expected, he told us that our best option is to selectively reduce. He said the chances of me bringing 7 healthy children into the world is a VERY small one ... almost impossible. Most likely, the babies will be born too prematurely and not make it. There were also serious risks for me...preeclampsia, hemorrhage, and gestational diabetes as the most likely. After painting the very real picture we face, I asked him if he would care for me if I did not reduce. He assured me that he would. He said that his medical advice is selective reduction. Personally, he does not care what we decide. 

Steve and I told Dr. S that selective reduction is not an option for us. He respects our decision and promises that it will not be mentioned again. 

As far as care going forward, Dr. S says that time will have to run its course. Some of the babies may spontaneously reduce up to 12 weeks of gestation and not affect any of the other babies. He said it is astonishing that they all have their own placentas. After 12 weeks, if one or more of the babies fail to survive, I will most likely lose them all in a spontaneous abortion. 

Dr. S  will monitor me more closely in the second trimester. Bed rest will not be prescribed until my body presents an absolute need for it. New technology has developed in Europe that can keep my cervix shut if the need becomes real (versus sowing it shut like they have done for years). The second trimester will be the riskiest time. If I continue to progress, I will have to consume a ton of calories (probably around 5000/day), so that the babies can gain enough weight. There are so many what-if's and the doctor just does not know the things that he knows for singletons and twins. There is not enough data available on births of more than 3. It just does not happen that often. 

We thanked Dr. S for his time and scheduled our next appointment for July 22, when I will be 12 weeks pregnant. I talked to my beloved OB, Dr. B the day after my appointment with Dr. S. Dr. B has knelt his knee to Jesus Christ along with Dr. W. What a gift. 

When Dr. B called, I heard a tone of concern in his voice that I have never heard before. He said that Dr. S called him after-hours the night before. He said that they are all in shock and don't know how this happened. Dr. B said that he wrestled with me after talking to Dr. S. As a physician, he so badly wants me to reduce. But, as a fellow believer, he has no idea how we could choose which ones to terminate. Dr. B says he will take the very best care of me and the babies that he can. We trust and love him. 

7. God's number for perfection and completion. There are just no words that can explain this phenomenon. 

We feel so small, so unworthy, so blessed to be a part of this miracle. We don't know what tomorrow holds, so we trust God for today. No matter how many of these babies make their way to this earth, we are forever thankful to God for making us the parents of 9 total children. 

My initial reaction to the news of a possible 6 brought me face down to the Word. All I could first utter was the prayer of Mary when the Angel told her she was with child: the Magnificat. 

My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.
Luke 1:46-50 

God has used the past year and a half to prepare us for this. No, God has used our entire lives to prepare us for this. Our consciences are clear and our hearts are pure...all because the precious blood of Jesus Christ covers us. For some reason, God has chosen unworthy, weak, small, and so imperfect us to show, declare, and magnify His Glory through this magnificent story. This is HIS story - not ours - and we are prepared to have an answer for the true faith that we profess. I would be lying if I said that fear never gripped us. We are fallen creatures who tremble at the battle that lies ahead. But when we depart our flesh and live in the Spirit, we hear, believe, and proclaim:
  
With man this is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.
Mark 10:27

Look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:18

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
1 John 4:4 

The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease. For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I have hope in Him.” The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him. 
Lamentations 3:23-25

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.
Psalm 84:11 

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:9 

...seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:33-34  

...may [you] know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead...
Ephesians 1:18-20

We must depend on God, His true character, and His promises now, more than ever.  Oh, how sweet it is to yearn for Him with real cries and real tears. This is the prize. This has always been the prize. Our prayers have not changed one bit from infertility to now. This is all for His Glory. The universe exists only for God's Glory!

We assure you of this, friends, family, supporters, and critics alike, we will harness EVERYTHING that God has given us: all of the abilities, knowledge, talents, and disciplines that we have acquired, by God's grace alone, through all of our life experiences thus far, to battle, fight, claw, scratch, and groan our way to bring these children to this earth, healthy. But in the end, it ALL depends on God.

Please, if you will pray, please pray this simple prayer for us and for every story:


Our Father in heaven, 
Hallowed be Your Name,
 Your Kingdom come, Your will be done...
Matthew 6:9-10